Friday, November 6, 2009

Storks and Rabbits



...Guess what world? I just finished writing a book! (Not the first, but the longest!) I've been working on "Storks and Rabbits" since last July and put the finishing words on it this evening. It comes in at about 60,000 words, twenty-seven chapters, and 108 pages. Completely and totally unbelievable, I sometimes wondered if I would actually finish it, and well, here it is done.

...Excuse me while I throw on my ballgown and do a jig on the ceiling; it looks like a boa trying to hopscotch, only funnier. I'm having a major mental melt down. I want to scream! I want to dance! I want to shake the presidents hand, well, not really. I want to send off an email to someone famous, or at least someone in the next state over. I want to be completely and utterly insane for five minutes of my life!

...Okay, victory whoop over. I've got lots and lots of work to do.The crushing reality that I-did-it-and-its-over is is sinking in. At least I still get to edit it! Strange as it may sound I am really looking forward to tearing and shredding my book into tiny little pieces before sewing it back together again. You never know what Mrs. Frankenstein is going to look like on the other side. (Bad joke) Maybe its a complex I picked up after staring at the slowly growing type on my tiny computer screen the last few months, but; I'm really looking forward to giving this novel a bit of its own medicine! I'm going to rip it, shred it (already said that), scrub it, change it, work it, challenge it, boss it, plead with it; you see - its taken on a definite personality of its own. And no, I'm not insane right now. I'm dead serious. The problem is when a novel refuses to have life of its own. Right now mine is in a half-grown-up stage. Like a teenager that wants to lie around the house instead of doing hard things. My job is to make him independent of me his creator, (this is not an allegory of God's relationship with us web audience), he needs to get out there and breath his own air! He's stifling me, like a baby that won't be born! Good grief, I need to stop talking about this book before it gets creepy.

...Anyhow. I'm very happy and sad all at once, which is an uncomfortable place to be. I can't wait to work on the next stage of this process, and maybe, with a lot of prayer, I will be able to publish it one day. That would be truly exciting...






5 comments:

Marks of Faith said...

That's exciting Lauren! Congrats!

Lauren said...

Thanks Jen!

BTW,I really enjoyed seeing pictures from your fall festival!

TiffanyJane said...

Wow Laruen, that is Fantastic!!! Doing a little jig with you... {although it's a little hard in a ballgown!} :)
I bet it is wonderful!
Tiff :)

Anonymous said...

Really awesome!!!! I write books too- 'tis so much work to get those last words in. Some days you want to throw your half-baked novel out the window. I'm still working with my precious little half-baked novels, and I look forward to being finished some day. =]

Lauren said...

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

I understand about the "half-baked" novel thing Hannah - I have about a dozen or so stashed away in odd places, its funny isn't it? The last words are the hardest! Or at least, they are the ones you stop to contemplate the most, and put off writing forever...

Related Posts with Thumbnails