Monday, June 21, 2010

~Hold a Mirror up to your Heart: Adorning Your Heart Part 1~

 ~A loud, rather annoying, buzzing sound, penetrated the groggy edges of my semi-conscious mind. Out of pure instinct my hand went up and came down "SMACK" on the top of my little alarm clock. It was 7 AM, time to get up, time to get moving, time to start the day. A little more sleep, a little more slumber, my body groaned, and then I remembered - I had an appointment with my Doctor at NINE, just two hours away!!!! Out of the bed I leapt, stumbling over yesterdays shoes (which never seem to find there way back to the closet), dodging a stack of laundry, slipping on my sisters sheets and extra pillows which always end up on the ground before morning (she's a messy sleeper!), until I reached the door. Then I darted down the hall, around the corner, and scooted into the one kids bathroom just in front of my brother who really needed to get ready for work. Ha ha - I beat him! Then I looked in the mirror.

~Now this post could be about any number of things. It could be about laziness, oversleeping, messy room habits, considering others needs and feelings above ones own, or even the unattractive trait of developing a nasty long standing grudge against ones alarm clock. (I hate the sound of that thing...) But the focus of this post is actually about mirrors.

~As a young woman I spend a considerable amount of time looking in mirrors, whether its to decide if I like a certain color on myself, or if a shirt is too low, too tight, too blah. I casually glance in mirrors as I pass them throughout the day - checking my hairdo, tucking that stray end back into place, adjusting my clothes. And something tells me that there isn't a young lady alive who hasn't once or twice stared deeply into her reflected eyes wondering about all the deep unanswerable unspeakable questions in life. (Or maybe you have a reflection friend who lives in a glass pane like Anne of Green Gables :) In other words, mirrors are a pretty useful tool in life.


~That morning I prepared myself for my appointment (with the more than usual routine of shower, hair products, choosing an outfit after long and careful consideration - I'm picky when it comes to doctors offices, finding the perfect pair of shoes - comfortable but also smart, makeup, curlers, etc...) and actually made it to the appointment only five minutes late. But this post isn't about tardiness or vanity. Its about mirrors...

~Something I realized recently is that there is more than one kind of mirror. There is the kind that hangs on the wall in various shapes and sizes, which faithfully reflects the absolute facts about our appearance (Good and bad, sighs...). And there is the kind that can't be seen on the wall but which just as accurately reflects the inward condition of our heart.

~That mirror is called the Word of God. It shows us the condition of our souls, it convicts us when we sin, and it offers a picture of what we will be one day in our glorified bodies with Christ. In another way what is inside of you reflects you. Your heart is your own mirror as well- it shows what and who you truly are to others.

"As water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man." Proverbs 27:19

~Sadly, we do not usually see our own reflection. And we often deny it when other people approach us with a picture of it. This is because the heart is deceitful, proud, full of its own thoughts and desires. Which is why we so desperately need to turn to Gods Word for a "heart check" to get a true understanding of ourselves, and a true reflection of where we stand in need of correction. To quote Fireproof, "You can't just follow your heart - you need to lead your heart". Where? To Gods Word. This is the mirror we need to look in daily, and that requires daily effort on our part. Its a process of developing consistency in the most fruitful habit you could ever devote yourself to.

~As I prepare to launch this series of posts on "adorning ones heart", and particularly todays post, let me confess something. I am not the christian I would like to be. I'm not even close. I've failed to remain consistent in my habits, time and again I realize I've slipped into my old ways once more; neglecting to read Gods Word every day, forgetting to pray for the growing stack of prayer requests slipped between the pages of the Bible I forgot to read, speaking in a harsh manner with my siblings, feeling resentment towards my parents when they ask me to do something I "just didn't feel like doing" at that moment. But God in His grace has been faithful to me, as I know He has to you if you are His child, setting my feet back on the path whenever I stray. These words are as much, if not more, to myself, as to any readers out there, a little journal of thoughts on the heart from a sister in Christ.

~In summary for today - I realized that before I could even think about some of the things one should adorn ones heart with, I needed to be able to see that heart. The only thorough reliable way to do that is in the Bible, with prayer, asking God to show me my weak areas. Every person will look a little different in their sin areas, and needs as far as different virtues goes, so, the next four days will just cover some basics. (You can work on specific trims and ribbons yourself :) The following verses are ones I found useful in seeing the state of my heart and my need to develop consistent habits in my reading of Gods Word - I hope they are encouraging to you as well!

The state of our hearts;

“ The heart is deceitful above all things,
      And desperately wicked;
      Who can know it?
 
I, the LORD, search the heart,
      
I test the mind,
      Even to give every man according to his ways,
      According to the fruit of his doings." Jeremiah 17:9-10


 The power of Gods Word;

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

God Knows the State of our Hearts;

"If we had forgotten the name of our God,
         Or stretched out our hands to a foreign god,
Would not God search this out?
         For He knows the secrets of the heart." Psalm 44:20-21

God convicts us through the Power of His Word and Spirit, He does the work of creating in us a clean heart;

"I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek." Romans 1:16

"Create in me a clean heart, O God,
         And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me away from Your presence,
         And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me" Psalm 51:10-11


Our Response;
"How can a young man cleanse his way?
         By taking heed according to Your word.
With my whole heart I have sought You;
         Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!
Your word I have hidden in my heart,
         That I might not sin against You." Psalm 119:0-11


~Until tomorrow then, in Christ,




5 comments:

Melody said...

Thank-you for this post, Lauren! I know I need that reminder to look in the mirror of God's word, since "man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart." I look forward to reading this series!

Blessings,
~Melody

Lauren said...

Thank you for your sweet comment Melody! I needed the reminder too - which is why I thought to write about it afterward!

In Christ,
~Lauren

SavannahLynn said...

I'm not *that* messy of a sleeper......

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

extremely inspiring!! It is so wonderful how much the Love of Christ shines out of you.

. . and now I miss the mirror friend I used to have.

Lauren said...

Savannah,

Hmmm, well, that is a point to be debated! :)

Victoria,

Thanks for the encouragement! I am so glad to have been used by God to build others up, He gets all the glory always!

~Lauren

Related Posts with Thumbnails