Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Announcing a series of posts concerning William Bradford!

...Yesterday I started reading William Bradford's history of Plymouth Plantation. During study time I had a great idea, why not make an online series of notes on the diary? ..."Of Plymouth Plantation" is a rare firsthand account of the struggles and victories one little band of faithful pilgrims endured in the arduous journey from persecution to freedom. It is full of insights into our roots, sacrifices every faithful christian should stand for, and miraculous escapes from the very maws of death. William Bradford began penning the diary after the Mayflower landed on Massachusetts shore and continued to write after the fact, covering time from 1620 - 1647 A.D. Anyone wanting to understand this godly man and the puritans of New England should not skip this book! (Despite its often archaic prose, spelling, and impressive size!) ...I will be recording my chapter by chapter thoughts and reviews over on my history blog, here. Included will be juicy little tidbits like the following; ...Bradford's opinions concerning "gracious Queen Elizabeth", to use his own words. ...The state of England's reformation at the time, compared to Scotland, Geneva, France, and the Netherlands. ...Good old Puritan common sense! ...Be checking over there for more in the next couple days!

5 comments:

Martinez Family said...

I am looking forward to your new series! My mom read about half of Plymouth Plantation to us when we were much younger, but we never finished it unfortunately. I really should go back and read it myself one of these days! (Especially considering the fact that he is my great, great, great, great......great Grandfather!)
Johanna

Lauren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren said...

I didn't know he was connected to your family in any way! How neat... We come more from the Jamestown settlers side of things, John Rolfe etc... But you know that.

Yes, I would definitely read it if I were you! Of course, I'm only an eighth of the way through the book, so I could be utterly oblivious to what I am talking about. It is a bit of a grueling read.But well worth it!

Love always,
Lauren Ashley

casa da poesia said...

Yes!...and for you...

"this infamy.O my prince is delicious!"...

Lauren said...

?

I think I missed something?

Related Posts with Thumbnails